Friday, September 6, 2013

My Lemon Trees Have Yellow Leaves

I have two lemon trees, and I am the first to admit that they don't look that great. But, I also grew these from seeds and admit that I didn't know a thing about fruit trees until I joined the Western Massachusetts Master Gardeners Association.

The trees are 6 years old and have never grown 1 lemon.  I've yet to see any flowers, and half the time I'm lucky if the trees have branches ( I used to get a little carried away with pruning).

So this year, for the first time, I brought the trees outside and I fertilized them at least every 6 weeks with a citrus fertilizer.  I did see a lot of growth and I've had to prune the trees back a little.  I really need to get bigger pots for them, but I'm afraid I won't be able to carry them in the house if I do.

Anyway, lately, the leaves look very yellow and are beginning to drop off - even with all my extra care! 


 
I went online to see if I could find a cause and a solution for yellowing leaves, and discovered a forum on gardenweb.com. After reading many comments, I decided to get my hands on some Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro.  Many growers of lemon trees swear by this stuff.  I bought a small bottle that I found on amazon.com and have saved the customers' reviews page.
 
Today, I mixed a teaspoon of DGFP with a gallon of water and fed the trees.  Then I used the solution half-strength (1/2 tsp. per gallon) to spray on the leaves. I simply filled a spray bottle half-full with the solution, and then filled the rest with plain water.  I hope this helps to really green the leaves up. I will post results as I see them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment