Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Grow Lights


My mother and I were on the phone the other day, talking about our gardens, and she told me that she used to grow plants in the basement, using a light and a card table.  She said that her system was kind of "crude", but it made me think that we all have to start somewhere.  This is the first light I used:

 
 
So high tech!  Then last year I sprang for a Hydrofarm Grow Light:
 
 
 
It's OK... not the greatest.  But then in my WMMGA group I learned that I can grow plants using ordinary florescent bulbs.  I set one up about a week or so ago, but now I have so many things growing, that I need to add another one:
 
 
These lights were very easy to set up, and cost about half the price.  This is what I purchased:
  • A 4-foot All-Season shop light
  • (2) 48-inch T8 32 watt florescent bulbs
  • (2) 4-foot chains to hang the light from the ceiling, so I can raise and lower it as needed
  • (2) 1-1/2 inch cup hooks, on which to attach the chains to the ceiling



No comments:

Post a Comment