Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Garden Notes - August 28, 2013
















I went away for a week to North Carolina and left Jamie in charge of the garden.  As soon as I unpacked the car I headed out to see what had changed there in one week.  Well, I could see that I certainly had my work cut out for me.  For one thing, so many things needed to be harvested:  squash, peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!  I was hoping to come home to some huge melons, but it doesn't look like they've done very well.  Not sure why.  Too little water?  Not enough space? Not enough nourishment? Something to research this winter!

Also, the herbs and the annual flowers really took off.  The marigolds are finally big and bushy, which makes me think I should start the seeds a month earlier next year.  The zinnias are also doing great, and the sunflowers are open.  And the dahlias are tremendous.

James' garden is doing OK.  I can only spot 3 pumpkins out of a dozen plants.  It looks like something is eating them.  Ditto for ALL of the pole beans.  It has to be rabbits - they're all I see out there!  The corn seems to be doing OK, except that I spotted a little beetle on an ear today.  I'm wondering if I should spray.  Except for twice in June, I have been able to avoid spraying my veggies all summer!

Lastly, I picked all of my apples today - McIntosh (the tree nearest the road).  There were less than 2 dozen, but I am pleased.  Spotty but delicious.  The squirrels ate all the plums and nectarines.  There are pits laying all around the trees.  Still waiting on the pears.

There's so much to do outdoors that I'm not able to get to the computer as often as I'd like.  For now, I bring a notebook out to the yard and write down notes for any changes, plans and ideas I have for next year's garden.

P.S. - I have tried to grow poppies several times - seeds, plants, annuals, perennials.  I haven't had much success.  Anyway, I spotted one little flower about 2 weeks ago.  It looked pretty sad, but it pleased me!

No comments:

Post a Comment