Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Season

March 3, 2013

A new season is upon us! I'm excited to plant all my new flower and vegetable seeds and dream of all the melons and cukes and flowers I will be picking.

I hope I haven't gotten in over my head... I'm attempting to grow most of the plants from seed, as well as plant a container garden, rescue my new blueberry hedge from the deer, and somehow keep everything watered and protected from all the other pests and diseases that are lurking out there.  I have my work cut out for me.

No matter!!  Last year I planted my first vegetable garden in over 10 years.  I lost a lot of plants due to insects and blight and overall poor planning, but I also discovered dahlia's (my new obsession), harvested a ton of green beans, and grew the loveliest zinnias and sunflowers!

Planning is key:  It helps to know ahead of time all of the tasks that need to be done so that plants have the best chances of thriving.

With that said, here is my "To Do" list for the month of March:
  • Obtain soil samples and send to UMass
  • Begin to work soil
  • Clean out shed and garage to determine where everything is and what's needed
  • Start seeds indoors
  • Bring in mower to have blades sharpened
  • Make a list of goals for the season
  • Draw a map of the yard (think "fence")
  • Plant cool season veggies and flowers
I recently purchased a book that provides lists and details for all the recommended tasks for gardening in New England.  It's a brand-new publication and still awaiting release.  For some reason, there has been a shipment delay. I'm anxious to get my hands on it.

Some other books I purchased (through Western Mass Master Gardeners Association) are The Well-Tended Perrenial Garden, a book about controling Deer, Seed Saving and Sowing, and The Gardener's A-Z Guride to Growing Organic Food.  I'm building up quite the library, but I realized last year that gardening definitely requires knowledge and skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment