Monday, March 24, 2014

Garden Notes - March 24, 2014














I have about 150 tiny plants growing in my basement as of today, with more to come! Last Monday (March 24) I transplanted two dozen or so seedlings into cups.  Their roots had grown through the bottoms of the plugs, which told me they are able to easily draw nutrients from potting soil.  Also, the plants had developed their first "true" leaves, so it was time. Tonight I plan to transplant another 20+ seedlings.

I picked up two different potting soils to try: Fox Farm Ocean Forest (which I am currently using) and Miracle-Gro Potting Mix.  I learned last year (the hard way) that the quality of potting soil absolutely makes a difference in how well your seedlings grow.

I also picked up some Miracle-Gro Seed Starting Potting Mix, because I would like to grow certain flowers in trays rather than grow them individually in plugs.  Sweet alyssum is one example. In the meantime, I continue to sow more seeds:  milkweed, cosmos, cleome, eggplant, and basil.  I'll start my tomatoes next week!

Spring is here, but it still looks a little dreary outside.  I have been battling a terrible cold and cough, otherwise I'd be outside pruning my blueberry bushes and fruit trees.  I need to get my soil tested, too. I took a little walk around the yard the other day and everything is so soggy!  I was delighted to see some daffodil leaves poking through the ground, and also happy to see that all that thyme I grew from seed made it through the winter.  The rosemary didn't make it, though.  This is the second year in a row that I forgot to bring it indoors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment