Monday, June 10, 2013

Basil Leaves Turning Yellow and Brown

I noticed the other day that my basil plants don't look quite as green and healthy as they did when I first removed them from the garden and put them in a container.  I did this because something (probably a rabbit) was eating them:


I went online to see if anyone could offer any reasons for this, and read a few:
  1. They may be getting too much sun.  This could be the case, since I moved the plants to the poolside, which gets lots and lots of strong sun.
  2. They may need some nitrogen and phosphorus.  I decided to use a fertilizer for herbs called Garden-Tone, and I sprinkled about a tablespoon around the perimeter of the pot.
  3. It could be due to the fact that I just transplanted them, and the plants are in recovery-mode.
  4. It could be due to too much water (although I doubt this is the reason).
I took the pot out of the pool area and stuck it on a table near the house.  It will get a lot of morning sun, be safe from any rabbits, and get some relief in the afternoon.  Between this change and the fertilizer, I hope they start looking better.

No comments:

Post a Comment