Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentines Day






Happy Valentines Day!

Years ago, my husband started giving me dahlia tubers instead of bouquets for Valentines Day.  He and I both like the idea that he is giving me my favorite flower, and also that I will end up with lots of bouquets throughout the years - not just one in February.

I ordered several (translation:  lots), and I will be putting up a list of my newest dahlia varieties, along with the places where I bought them from.

We have several Valentine traditions in this home.  I always have something chocolatey for the kids.  I used to bake heart shaped sugar cookies, which were really lovely,  but now that my children are older, I don't see the need to make such a fuss.

I also always make hand-made valentines for my kids.  I know they don't expect them anymore, but still, I like to pull out the red paper and glitter and see red hearts in the kitchen.

I always put a vase of mini carnations on the table.  They last for weeks.

No Hallmark cards any more, no fancy dinners at restaurants.  My husband is disabled and can no longer walk, due to multiple sclerosis.  It is what it is, but I don't want him worrying about picking out cards and crowded restaurants.  The dahlias are perfect.  We celebrate by watching a movie together.  This year we watched A Little Chaos - a movie about gardens, romance and France.  It was pretty good.





Changing the topic here - I also started growing sweet peas today.  It's probably too soon to start - I don't know what I was thinking! I have been inspired by Erin at Floret Farmer Farm.  I did order a bunch of seed packets from her, and I can't wait to grow new things.


No comments:

Post a Comment