Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Eat Your Leafy Greens!

 
 
 





 
Some of the easiest things to grow in the garden are greens:  lettuce, kale, spinach and arugula.  There are many more greens one can grow, but these happen to be the 4 that are growing in my garden this year.
 
I grow my plants from seed indoors in late winter.  They can be transplanted outdoors in late April (or even earlier) since they can tolerate low temperatures and light frosts.
 
Arugula is my favorite.  I love its peppery taste and put it in everything.  It grows so easily - it often self-sows.  It's also easy to collect and save its seeds.
 
During the summer months I create lots of salads for my family using a variety of different vegetables, nuts, seeds, meats, cheeses, grains and pasta.  The combinations are limitless!  However, I only have a couple of "standard" dressings that I use, because they are so simple.... and so good!
 
Here is a recipe for a vinaigrette that I got from the cookbook The Silver Palate, which was given to me when I got married. 
 
Classic Vinaigrette
 
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard ( I use 1 teaspoon)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
chopped parsley or chives (from your garden, of course!)
 
 
 
Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather as much as I am!
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment